Covid-19 Protocols for In Class Presentations
For the health, safety, and comfort of our Educator as well as the staff and volunteers at the centre, we will be following the Covid-19 protocols laid out by each School District or the individual schools. We have also set out some of our own additional guidelines. As our Educator will be visiting many different schools and classrooms throughout the school year, we are trying to minimize contact and keep everyone safe.
Below are our requirements:
- A minimum 6 foot distance from our Educator by the students, teachers, and anyone else in the school, especially during the presentations.
- All students must be seated before our Educator enters the presentation area.
- A larger presentation area is recommended if available.
- Our Educator is fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
- Before any program, our Educator performs a self-check to ensure they are not displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 and if symptoms are present, we will notify the school/organization and rebook for a later date.
We reserve the right to not deliver the program if COVID-19 safety protocols are not being followed.
OWL in the Classroom
(OWL visits you)
The ‘OWL in the Classroom’ program is available Monday to Friday and can accommodate all grade levels, from Preschool to University. The ‘OWL in the Classroom’ program is 60 minutes long and is formatted to follow BC Curriculum Science Big Ideas and Content for each grade level. Teachers can also request other topics they wish to have covered during the program. Programs can be customized to the group we are visiting.
OWL’s programs aren’t just for Schools!
We visit many other groups, such as libraries, long-term care facilities, day camps, work gatherings, Scouts/Girl Guides, Regional Parks, and other venues. Please email or call us for more information.
Meet Live Raptors
The students will have the opportunity to meet two live raptors during their classroom program. The Educator will bring 1 owl and 1 hawk/falcon/turkey vulture. As we are working with animals, we cannot guarantee which bird will be available on the day of the program, so we unfortunately don’t take special requests.
You can visit our Offsite Education Birds page to find out more about the raptors who may visit your classroom (scroll down to the “Offsite Education Raptor Ambassadors” section).
Visual & Audio Aids
Visual and audio aids are used to explain and show the following:
- The function of the OWL Society
- The basic biology and behaviour of raptors
- Sizes and types of raptors
- Dangers to raptors and other wildlife
- What students can do to help raptors and other wildlife
We offer offsite classes Monday to Friday. For more information or to make a booking, please phone us at 604-946-3171 (option 2) 7 days a week (closed holidays) from 9am to 3:30pm.
We encourage teachers to speak with other teachers of their school so that they can book an entire day with OWL. Setting aside a day of OWL programs also allows the teachers to share the kilometer fee, making the cost lower than if the programs were on separate days.
Program Fee for One Presentation
Option 1: 1 hour presentation for up to 30 participants: $165.00 + kilometer fee*
Option 2: 1 hour presentation for up to 60 participants: $240.00 + kilometer fee*
Note: For every 30 additional participants, $75.00 extra
*The kilometer fee is $0.61/km round trip (as per Government of Canada recommended mileage rate) and applies to all offsite visits.
All prices include applicable GST.